Sunday, June 17, 2007

Week One- Dana Stefanczyk

The first thing I noticed about New Orleans was the heat. And around Xavier, the emptiness. Homes and buildings stand abandoned here and sometimes it can seem so desolate. Images of the surroundings make it easier to see why tourists are so welcomed here.

After tours of campus and the surrounding area, we went to our first experience of the French Quarter, and what I believe was our first experience of true New Orleans culture. The seafood fest consisted of people milling about while live music was being played. Some people were sitting out and baking in the sun, others were dancing barefoot. We were still getting to know each other. The striking thing, and something I later found to be consistent, was the mood of the place. People are relaxed, and carefree, and take it easy. And they love that we are here.

One Monday we went on a bus tour of the city, a trip that took us through the eclectic mix that is New Orleans. St. Charles Ave. consisted of some of the most beautiful mansions I have ever seen in every style of architecture under the sun. The French Quarter is a like something out of a storybook, with its colorful houses painting the streets with icing. And then there are the areas that were much harder hit by Katrina, and though they are rundown and abandoned, they still hold that mood.

Work has been a different experience for all. Personally I have been very welcomed by the Public Health Dept., and was surprised at how excited they are to have me there. I have been working with other to set up Medical Vans, and it is nice to feel like I am having a tangible impact on the city, and to have people care about what I am doing.

I am trying as hard as I can to immerse myself in this city, for better or for worse, to experience everything it has to offer. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." And when in New Orleans, talk to everyone, go everywhere, do anything possible to live this city.

No comments: