Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Crescent City Connection

June 18, 2007


The people and city of New Orleans have redefined for me what it means to be a true southerner. The grace and charm of the city and its people surpass anything I have ever encountered in any city or anywhere in the world for that matter. Coming from Texas I thought that it would be a pretty tall order to find a place with more friendliness on the streets or strangers more willing to help a NOLA-newbie out. Every facet of life in this city seems to occur at a slower pace and people seem to linger a little longer on mundane tasks. I’ve only been here a week and it has already affected the pacing of my life!

One person who seems to embody everything I love about this city comes from a most unlikely source: my boss. Rick is the kind of family man you wish you could have as your neighbor. He went to lengths to ensure that I knew my way around the area where I work and also took me on a tour of various hot spots where Katrina had done her worst[1]. After less than two days of working for him I had met both his daughters, been taken out for a roast beef po’ boy, toured his house to see his restoration work (his house was destroyed by Katrina), and he even trusted me enough to drive his truck back from the shop. At similar work experiences in other parts of the United States it would take weeks or months to build the kind of trust it takes to invite others into your home and family. But what makes this region so great is that it seems this attitude of openness is shared by all New Orleans citizens, not just those I work with.

On a recent, humid Louisiana summer night a group of DENOLA (Duke Engage New Orleans, LA) kids were out at a local bar, the Snake n’ Jake. You can easily place yourself in this modest watering hole by imagining hanging out in your best friend’s garage while passing around a handle of his dad’s whiskey and the only light is coming from a string of Christmas lights dangling behind your head. On this particular evening we had the privilege of meeting a Katrina survivor, Victoria, and her husband. When she found out what we were doing this summer she became immediately attached to us and very emotional. She couldn’t give us enough thanks for what we were doing and wouldn’t leave us alone until she had individual conversations with each of us. While we settled back with a few brews we listened to stories about how groups such as ours have had an impact in New Orleans and on individual lives such as Victoria’s. We were even invited to her husband’s restaurant which we haven’t partaken of… yet.

So far my New Orleans experience has been defined by my interactions with her citizens. With people such as Rick responsible for rebuilding the city and Victoria living in it, it’s hard to imagine the city not coming back stronger and better than before.


-Clark Daniel
cd21@duke.edu


[1] One of my favorite things he showed me was a house that Katrina had moved completely- slab and all. Apparently the slab and house floated for blocks down the street taking out light poles and stop signs but miraculously not striking any other houses.

No comments: